The Abersoch Fleet - Big is Beautiful
With fourteen Dragons and teams making up the 2014 SCYC based Dragon fleet, we are on for an exciting season.
Who do we have the pleasure of welcoming into the Abersoch fleet for 2014?
- Ali Edwards’ newly acquired Ducru GBR686, hit with very heavy dose of TLC, will be our first female owner, might even be an all female and very capable team with Tracy Powell.
- Mike Budd’s team on Chinook GBR648 with Greebo and Neil Hampson – an ambitious team hoping for great things.
- Atalanta GBR508 now includes George Davies, Tim & Carol Saunders, already showing plenty of speed
- Pongo GBR623 is now in the hands of the Rickards boys Owen & Wil – young team, great news, a massively welcome addition to our fleet
- Mystere GBR590 is with Richard Brown, Mike Aldroyd – these guys will be on the pace soon enough
- Yeah Baby GBR662 is with Jamie Peters, David Cummings & Rich Robinson – full of ambition in their beautiful boat, but still having to study stern features of the class captain’s Merlin GBR622 on a regular basis.
- Merlin adds Simon Cash to the team – can Team Merlin keep the likes of Yeah Baby, Chinook and not forgetting Nick Whipp’s Djinn GBR564 and Chris & Selina’s Phantom at bay?
We’ve kicked the season off with a small Easter series, good wind, six boats out, very enjoyable.
We’ll be up to a full fleet of fourteen teams on the water for the early May bank holiday racing.
Then, before we have time to spit, and there’s no spitting permitted on the club premises, we have the 2014 BDA Northern Championship hosted at SCYC 12th to 14th June. We are expecting an attendance figure of circa eighteen or twenty teams, guests will include three/four Irish teams, plus Tom Hewiston & team on Harry GBR793, probably Laurie Smith & team.
Six of the Abersoch fleet will be attending the Irish National Championship hosted by Kinsale YC 25th to 29th June
Abersoch fleet wise, the prestigious series of the summer is ‘Dragon Week’ 31st July to 3rd August.....The Captain’s Cup is the one to win. It’s a week for friends to race as their lives depended on it, then relax in great company, a well deserved glass or two of something delightful, stunning views, and probably a leg of lobster from the BBQ. Visiting teams will be made welcome.
Who will be the top team this year? It’s a very hard call, each team is improving with every race.
SCYC’s Abersoch fleet is all about racing stunning boats in a beautiful bay, enjoying good company, and unrivalled enthusiasm at the bar when the racing is done!
If you fancy joining the fleet, call me, the Fleet Captain (Rob Riddell 07777 695990), we’ll have you dreaming of victory in no time at all.
Abersoch Dragon Fleet Captain